img { max-width: 560px; width: expression (this.width >560 ? 560: true); }

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's here...and I couldn't be happier!

Yes, I'm talking about the Inauguration. My mind is back in DC with all of my friends, and at all of the places we love so much from having lived there for 7 years. I am jealous of those who get to be there, but it is completely overshadowed by my feelings of joy today. Of course, this has me thinking about my layout called Today that is just a few post backs. (I didn't want to bore you with the same image, so if you're interested, go look at it.) I made that layout the day Barack Obama was elected President, after having a talk with my two teenage kids about why this election was so important. I was able, right then and there to capture my thoughts and feelings about that day. It was a pleasure to make that page, which hopefully can in some way express to my children how far we have come, and, yes, how far we have to go. But it is very important to stop and celebrate these moments in our country's history, and in our personal history; moments that connect us, define us, and inspire us. I will write more about how I spend this special day later. (I'm still not really sure what's on the menu as I have lots of non-inaugural things to attend to, but I hope to find my moment among the evryday. I hope you find yours, too.)

First, I wanted to add a few more of the pics I took from our jaunt to the Cities.

I have to share some images from one of the greatest places on earth, called Hunt & Gather. It is not your Grandmother's antique store. It is a haven of inspiration and creative impulse! Seriously, it rocks. There is room after room stuffed to the gills with awesome goodies: full fledged pieces of art and the ingredients for someone like me who likes to dabble and play with odds and ends: flashcards, dominos, buttons, ribbon, old advertising memorabilia, knobs, door handles, oil cloth, you name it! And it is always changing and gives my creativity a charge like being zapped with the heart paddles on ER! I took a couple of pics of the outside and I'm posting one of them here, just to give you an idea of the way they display things creatively to draw you in:




There is a huge sign outside that reads, "Hunt & Gather" and the first time I saw it, I practically pulled the steering wheel out of Brad's hands to make him stop, and I squealed "I'm a hunter and gatherer!!!!" I love it!

But the piece de resistance has to be this amazing valentine they had. Someone must have really loved someone to make this awesome piece of art. It is a heart shaped candy box (about 6 inches deep) filled with cut up valentines, cards, ribbons, and beads...a true monument to love! It is so awesome. I am seriously kicking myself for not buying it. As a lover of all decoupaged, paper clipped, beribboned, altered, beaded craziness, this one was definitely a delight!




You really must go to this store to see it for yourself. The staging of all the merchandise is perfect. The first time I went in, I spent hours and finally, when I came up for air, I asked the owners if they ever had people pass out on the premises, because I was so high from the excitement ans stimulation that I actually felt light headed and nauseous!

Now, if that is not enough stimulation for you, let me give you some more....of the gustatory kind! As I said in my last post, we stayed at the St. Paul Hotel. They have the most amazing brunch! The prime rib was the best I have ever tasted, not to mention the waffles, the potatoes,and everything else. But they had the most amazing dessert tray full of mini tartes, cheesecakes, tiramisu and these fabulous cupcakes! I was so full, but I knew I would never forgive myself if i didn't take one to eat later. So, here it is happilly ensconced on the dashboard of my car (love the little sticky, no slide mat, but I doubt this is the intended purpose!) The cupcake stayed there through the morning, nicely chilled by the MN winter weather (a plus!) until I couldn't stand it anymore and dipped my fingers into the mousse-like topping. Seriously, it was amazing!


I will post again soon with the pics from Tony & Tina's Wedding...for now, I'm off to go watch some of the inaugural celebration on the news. Have a great day, no matter what your political stripe! This really is an historic day for all of us in America and around the world. Especially our children.

1 comment:

  1. Alane - of course I remember you from class! In fact, I've got your blog under BPS classmates! I am definitely signing up for LOM again. I think its a agreat opportunity. So glad you checked in on me!! Stop by more often if you want.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Thanks for visiting :)

Evidence of a Life