img { max-width: 560px; width: expression (this.width >560 ? 560: true); }

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Happiness is...a new box of crayons

Seriously, is there anything better than a brand new box of crayons? Oh, I might be able to think of a few things that compare, but a brand new box of crayons is pretty incredible. The smell, the feel, the colors, and the possibilities.....oh, yeah. Now ordinarily I am turned on by the giant box with the sharpener in the side, but when I went to Target to purchase my new box, lo and behold I found this fabulous piece of human invention...the Crayola crayon collapsible tower/holder. (With sharpener!) It is so beautiful, so perfect, that I can't bring myself to collapse the tower. It truly is a thing of beauty. I love these crayons so much that I haven't even been able to bring myself to use them yet. (Silly, I know.) I just love looking at them! And dreaming of what could be. And, by the way, my love of crayons really only extends to the Crayola variety. I have never found another that can even compare. (And no, that's not just because the Crayola factory is located a few miles from my hometown in Easton, PA...where you can take an awesome tour...I loved on Mr. Roger's when he showed you how crayons are made there! Wow, I do digress a bit.) I love the names of the colors, the feel of the paper covers, everything, everything about them! I have been in love with crayons ever since I got my first big fat one for learning how to write in Kindergarten. (If anyone can hook me up with those monster Crayolas, I'd be tremendously happy!) As far as a favorite color goes, I couldn't possibly pick. And that is what is so incredibly joyous about this huge tower full. Even though my kids are 17 and soon-to-be 16, they still get a new box of Crayolas at the beginning of every school year. And here's the funny part of this story: when I was in the Target aisle, mesmerized by all of the crayon choices, one of my daughter's teachers spotted me and stopped to say "hi". I didn't see him at first, but he must have seen the look in my eye. He asked "are you picking those out for you or for your kids?" Like it was a big joke. I looked him straight in the eye and without the slightest note of embarrassment said, "Oh these are definitely for me!" Joy!


In keeping with the topic of a childlike love of art and all art materials, I recently made this 2 page spread of some old photos I have of Erin as a toddler. She was, from the beginning, a budding artist and loved to draw and paint. I would often find her seated at my artist's table drawing...sometimes on top of something I was working on! She hates me for using these photos of her in her birthday suit, but I think they really tell the story.



This 2 page spread is of Erin doing one of her other favorite things: playing soccer! I can't believe how many photos I have of her playing from all of these years. These pics were taken when we lived in Damascus, MD by the Dad of another gril on the team. He took such great shots!

http://flickr.com/photos/alanedd/3180489251/

I guess the theme is Erin today, and all of the things that she holds dear. A topic like that would not be complete without this page. Her greatest pleasure these days is definitely her group of friends. I should say they are my pleasure too. I could not ask for her to have a better group of girls to hang out with. They're supportive, funny, down to earth, and each one of them is not afraid to be themselves. They value their differences. I admit I'm a little jealous! I wish I had as big a group of great friends as she does, but I do enjoy living vicariously!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Thanks for visiting :)

Evidence of a Life